Chat is a feature that allows users connect in real time on a wiki. Anyone with a Wikia account can join chat by clicking the "Join the Chat" or "Start a Chat" button on the right navigation rail. You can also access chat by visiting Special:Chat the wiki.
Guidelines and policies
We want to make Chat a welcoming and helpful place for new and returning visitors alike. In order to best provide an environment in which we can give help and support to users who need it, please keep in mind the following guidelines when using Chat.
Please do not:
- Link or otherwise reference any content (censored or uncensored) such as videos, pictures, etc. in the main chat that is one or more of:
- Excessively gory
- Otherwise NSFW material
- Use excessive swears, or use swears against a fellow user.
- Flood the chat with repetitive posts/ASCII art/song lyrics/nonsense/bot commands (If bots are introduced).
- Use excessive amounts of capital letters or non-English languages.
- Overuse emoticons/create multiple posts one after another containing solely emoticons.
- Advertise. This includes advertisement of other websites, petitions, blogs and videos, among other topics.
Please do not:
- Harass other users in any manner.
- Ask for or give out without permission any personal information.
- Discuss matters which other users may find offensive.
- Post inciting messages or engage in trolling.
- Including "passive trolling" - the process of making users uncomfortable without necessarily breaking any other rules.
- Create drama by bringing real life issues into the chatroom which may disturb or upset others, or otherwise cause disruption.
- Role play excessively.
- Use the emoticons in a hostile manner.
- Tread on moderators' feet. If there are moderators around, let them deal with any situations.
- Flood the chat with repeated leaving and joining.
- Use of mobile tablet devices, such as the Kindle, will result in join/leave flooding: please do NOT use them.
Evading a ban on an account using another account is strictly prohibited and doing this will result in the original account possibly having its ban extended, and any sockpuppet accounts being indefinitely banned.
- Moderators do not "outrank" other users. All users shall receive equal treatment.
- Before a kick is given, a warning must be given to explain to the user what is wrong with their behaviour. Likewise, a warning must also be given before a ban.
- The sole exceptions to this are offensive content/spam, and sockpuppet accounts.
- Do not use threats to make a point.
- Give bans only when necessary, and keep ban lengths as short as possible. Bans are at the discretion of moderators/admins, however they must still be kept appropriate.
- Communicate with other moderators. If there is a disagreement, for example, about a ban, a civil discussion in a PM should ensue before any ban is undone.
- If you feel uncomfortable dealing with a situation for any reason, do not hesitate to ask another moderator for help.
(Though these rules have moderators in mind, they do apply to all staff members.)
- There are a wide variety of emoticons which can be used in Chat. For the full list, see MediaWiki:Emoticons.
- Links work exactly the same in Chat as they do in the editor. For example, typing [[Special:Forum]] in Chat results in Special:Forum - the main forum of Community Central.
- You can make shorter links to other wikis by using an interwiki link. For example, typing [[w:c:starwars]] in Chat results in w:c:starwars - an easy way to link to Wookieepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com).
- You can also link to specific pages using this method. Typing [[w:c:avatar:Aang]] in Chat results in a link to the Aang page on Avatar Wiki (http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Aang).