—Information accurate as of: build 904.83
The Mining Quarry is a structure that automatically extracts stones and ores from the location it is placed. It can be crafted using Wood, Metal Fragments, and Gears. Once crafted, it can be placed and the engine can be started. Before placing the quarry, you must plant a Survey Charge on the intended location of construction to find out the abundance and proportions of resources. This is important because not only does the Quarry require a small crater to snap to when placing, but certain areas in the ground will yield different/higher amounts of resources than others. As of the Devblog 171 update, Mining Quarries all produce Rocks, and one other resource specific to the Biomes in which they are placed.
How to Operate
To operate this mechanism, place Low Grade Fuel into the blue barrels on the side opposite of the ladder. Then climb up the ladder to the overhead platform on the top of the quarry. From there, you can start the engine from a control panel located on the platform with the Use button (default "E"). Once activated, the quarry will automatically start to collect resources while burning its fuel. If the fuel runs out, it will stop by itself. You can stop the quarry at any time by pressing the use button on the engine where you started the quarry. To collect the resources that the quarry has accumulated, just go up to the large rusty barrel at the bottom and open it.
Possible loot from the Mining Quarry includes:
- Metal Ore (Temperate biome only)
- Sulfur Ore (Arid biome only)
- High Quality Metal Ore (Snow biome only)
Corresponding amounts of each resource depend on the location and amount of time the quarry is left running.
Maintain your Quarry
You may want to consider a small outpost or watch tower near the quarry. That way you can monitor and take out any would-be quarry thieves. Also, you could stand on the top of the quarry (where you start the engine) to try and guard it, but that leaves you very exposed from all angles.
Quarries have 2500 health and are pretty resilient to taking damage. It’ll take a ton of whacks or 5 Timed Explosive Charges to destroy one quarry. Each charge will remove 425 health. If your quarry gets damaged, you can repair it with a hammer (just like a wall). If your quarry gets destroyed, the loot from the fuel barrels and the hopper will spew on the ground.
- The Mining Quarry can no longer be recycled.
- 1 Low Grade Fuel lasts for 10 seconds. 360 Low Grade Fuel per 1 hour.
- As of devblog 171, possible analysis results (per minute): 90-150 Stone and either 11.3 Sulfur, 12-20 Metal Ore, or 0.9-2 High Quality Metal Ore (per)
- Mining Outpost quarry results (per minute): 150 Stone and either 6 Sulfur, 9 Metal Ore, or 0.6 High Quality Metal Ore (per devblog 171)
- Devblog 166 changed cost to 5000 Wood, 1500 Metal Fragments, 6 Gears, 4 Sheet Metal.
- Before Devblog 171, possible resources per 100 Low Grade Fuel for a quarry were 600-1500 Stones, 100-300 Metal Ore, 100-300 Sulfur Ore, 75-150 Metal Fragments and 10-25 High Quality Metal Ore.
- As of Devblog 189, mining quarries is no longer craftable and will only spawn as static monuments around the world.